In 1899 Samuel Untermyer purchased Greystone, the former estate of Samuel Tilden. In the forty years Untermyer owned Greystone he transformed the gardens and greenhouses into some of the most celebrated gardens in America. After expanding the estate through property purchases to the north and east of the original estate, he hired Beaux Arts landscape artist Welles Bosworth to create gardens in 1912. These gardens sprawled over 150 acres overlooking the Hudson River and were maintained by 60 gardeners and supplied by 60 greenhouses. It was open to the public on a weekly basis during the 1920s and '30s and for special events including, displays of his famous chrysanthemums and tulips. 30,000 people visited it on one day in 1939.